Sunday, June 09, 2002

The Three Gorges

Well ....the highlight of the week is probably the time i spend watching all the KongFu movies that were played in the buses. Hahah... , but it is very funny to watch them in its original form, instead of the Spanish versions that I am used to back in the states. ;-)

After 12 hours on a bus, i am desperate for anything that doesn't have any KongFu, or guns in it.

I left Wuhan for YiChang and took a boat up the Yangtze River the next morning. Spend the entire next 12 hours with an retired couple on a almost completely empty deck taking pictures, getting a tan, and just enjoying the beautiful scenery of the Three Gorges. The river is a lot tamer than I expected, with many of the obstruction and rapids removed years ago for navigation. It is sad to see it turn in to a lake, after the Three-Gorges Dam is finished. The imposing mountain and valley scenery will probably change little, but without the rapids , it just isn't going to be the same.

The river serve as a drainage way for much of the high lands up west, sadly, it is also a sewage transport system in someway. I got the strange looks from the crews for using the trash can in the entertainment deck, I know, they'll prob. empty it into the river later anyway....

There is quit a bit of stuff that get throw into the river, everything from foam cups, plastic bags, to discarded shoes, we even saw a dead body floated by. Well. I think I saw everything in this trip....

I arrive at the town of WuShan @ night and spend the hours walking through the "old town", the part that were destain to be submerged. Build on the side of a river valley, the town is full of stairs. Buses and cars are all miniaturized to go through the narrow streets. Part of the town are already torn down, and all but a few street lights remained, but night markets, food stalls, and even the red light district can still be found.

Well.... If U come here.... be carefull.

I came to Wushan to see the Little 3-Gorges, and the Little, Little 3-Gorges. I was not disappointed. The one date trip, just make the big 3-Gorges pale in comparison. With its narrow water ways, steep valleys, tall cliffs, crystal clear water and white rapids, the trip is well worth its money. For the last part of the trip through the "Little, Little 3-Gorges" you actually get on a wooden boat and get pulled, pushed, and yanked up the little rapids by three local boatmen. Well, there is no words to describe the beautiful scenery to ya, and I don't think my camera with its wide lens could either. I could spend weeks here, if I could. (I think I will on my next trip too, which have to be quick, before the water level rise too high to drown out the rapids and swallow up the pebble beaches).

Well...I think this is getting a little long. To make the story short, took the boat up to WanZhou(10 hrs), and then bus(12 hrs) to ChengDou, SiChun, all in one stroke. Skipped ChongChing, as I orig. planned. On my 2nd day here, and I realized that SiChun alone may need more than a few month to explore. Will be taking another 12 hr. bus ride up Northern SiChun tomorrow morning, hope the scenery is good (I am sure it is), because I really can't stand all that much KongFu movies.

How the worst thing that came out of Taiwan make its way here, i have no idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home