Thursday, June 27, 2002

Lhasa, Tibet

I think I am having a serious case of monastery overdose today. I went for a visit to the Drepung Monastery outside Lhasa, what was supposed to be two hour visit, turns into a eight hour stay. The monastery have maybe 40-50 temples of all sizes inside, it is like a maze(It used to be the largest monastery in the world). My friend who came with me, gave up on me after a couple of hours and went to have his tea. I stayed long enough to watch the daily "scripture discussions", where like a hundred monks of all ages gather at the court yard arguing over their interpretation of the scripture. It was pretty amazing. Oh... These guys were actually pretty friendly, not as rude as some travelers said they are.

Traveling to or in Tibet is really a pain in the ass. Just to buy a ticket to come in here, requires you to pay something like $Y1500 for a permit, and then there is the airplane ticket.....

Once U get here, You need to rent a 4WD to go anywhere, which cost a bundle. And once again, U need permits, and permits.... Which means money, and money .... I think I spend what I used to spend in a month in just a little over a week here. But it still worth it.

Anyway, just managed to organized a week long trip to the Everest Base Camp, and the Nepal-Chinese border with a couple of people. Will be seeing a lot more monasteries, and amazing landscapes, and nice people too.

Will be leaving in a couple hours. Catch-up with U guys later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home